Monday, May 9, 2011

P&P Style

Ok, so I set this blog up 2 (?!) years ago.  I've finally decided I might as well use it.  ;)  I thought it might be fun to post any projects/fun stuff I do on here- that way if you don't want to read boring crafty stuff you're not interested in on my family blog, you don't have to!  Yippee!

So this last week, I seriously was beginning to wonder... "Was I born in the right century?"

"Before" Lamp
Black... beige... pretty boring.
I felt like my lamps needed a makeover.  So I made myself a template from my existing lamp shade (if you'd like to make one yourself, just roll and trace! ;)  I already had this lovely powder blue linen fabric a la' Paul (so wonderful) gave it a 1" hem on top and bottom to face on the outside, found a beautiful Martha Stewart Template to embroider on it, and got to embroidering!
the work in progress

I thought it turned out lovely.  I think I'd be perfectly happy sitting and embroidering and watching movies all the time!  With a little "Just Dance 2" and "The Michael Jackson Experience" inbetween to get the blood flowing to my legs again.  ;)  Seriously, didn't those wealthy girls in the Pride & Prejudice age have it good?  I could stand just embroidering, painting, playing the piano, singing, learning French and Latin, eating, going to balls, and attempting to catch a husband... it doesn't sound so bad. 

Anyway, to finish up the project, simply use some spray adhesive, gently smoothing out the fabric onto the shade as you go.

Then I sprayed the lamp bases white, added some silver lining with a bit of silver metallic enamel, and then gave it a "wash" with cream acrylic paint to bring down the brightness and whiteness.  I LOVE the shades.  Not absolutely love with the base, but I'm good with it.  :) 

Finished Lamp!  Yay!


Speaking of P&P, if you read my other blog you also know I "trimmed a hat" as they'd call it those days, and I found a bird cage (I am turning into a crazy bird lady... I just really love birds!!) Instead of leaving it the stained wood I painted it a sage green.  Too fun!  Real birds to put in it would be super fun too, if they weren't so smelly.  I'm happy with just a cage for now. 


So this week I have on the agenda to make a skirt for a YW sewing event we're having this Saturday.  I've modified the pattern to make the skirt longer... I also have another purse in mind to make... I'll have to do a post when that's all finished! 

Have a great week! 

1 comment: