Friday, June 17, 2011

Anthro Inspired "Sea Urchin" Clutch Tutorial

I know, all you faithful post readers ;) that you were anticipating a blog about my additional powder room decorations, but that little project currently has me on a search for one last item, and this project came up in the meantime.  :)  Hope you don't mind.

So a couple weeks ago whilst browsing at one of my favorite-but-can't-afford-anything stores (aka Anthropologie,) I spied this little clutch and thought, "I think I could make that!"
 I was excited for the challenge!  And truly, I did challenge myself.  I looked up no instructions, only tried to exercise this poor pregnancy brain of my mine to put together this cute little clutch.  And: success!


Here is my tutorial on the "sea urchin" clutch. 

Materials you'll need:

Paper, pencil, and 4" dia bowl/cup (for drawing the pattern)
1/2 yd  fabric
3/4 yd lining fabric
7" zipper

Start by drawing a pattern that you'll place on the fold of the fabric that looks like this: 
I wish now that I had rounded the bottom, so feel free to do that if you'd like.  I also didn't remember seeing a little bit of gathering that the clutch looks like it has in the photo from Anthropologie above.  If you'd like to add some pleats to the top, extend beyond 4", sew in the pleats the way you'd like, and then follow all the instructions below.  Just some extras!  :)  I also drew my pattern on the computer, so you can do that too if you having a drawing program you like!

First, cut two pattern pieces from your outer fabric and two from your lining on the fold.  Then cut two, 6.5" W x 21" H strips from your lining fabric or another coordinating fabric of your choice for the ruffles.
Next, turn the short ends of your strips 1/2" towards the wrong side of the fabric and pin right sides together down the long length.  Stitch the long ends, leaving short ends open, and turn right side out.  Stich the short ends with a small seam allowance.

Now create your strips into ruffles by making little pleats.  :)  I'm not going to lie, I totally eyeballed mine, but I pleated about every inch, pulling each little length to the pleat before it until I came to the end.  You want to have a finished length of 8".  This seemed to work out pretty well!  Stitch along the bottom with a 1/4" seam allowance.
Here comes a smorgashboard of sandwiching layers... but I promise you can do it!  I stitched each layer individually so that everything would stay in place.  Begin with your outer fabric right side up.  Lay your ruffle across the top, right sides together, and stitch across the top with a 1/4" seam allowance.  (The stitched side of the ruffle should be laying across the top, where the fabric is pinned in the photo.)
 Next layer is the zipper.  Lay face down across the top of your ruffle and stitch as close to the zipper as possible.
 Lastly, lay your lining fabric, right side down (so the wrong side of the fabric is facing you) onto the top of the zipper and stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance.  Be careful not to stitch over your zipper!
 Repeat each of these steps on the other side of the zipper with the remaining fabric and ruffle.

Ok, now first things first, UNZIP YOUR ZIPPER HALF WAY.  You'll be stuck if you don't!  :)  Now pull your outer fabric together, right sides facing, and lining fabric together, right sides facing, looking somewhat like a butterfly (see picture below.)  Pin all the way around, being careful to tuck in the edges of the ruffle so they don't get caught in the seam allowance.  Leave a 3-4" opening along the bottom of the lining for turning.  Starting at one edge of the opening of the lining, stich a 1/2" seam allowance ALL the way around the clutch, ending at the other side of the opening, (and being careful stitching over the zipper.)
 To creat a little "bottom" on the bag: on both the outer fabric and lining, open your seam allowance on each curve and pinch the fabric out and flat.  Measure 1-2" along the seam, mark with a pin, and pin in place.  Stitch horizontally across the flat section.  (Exactly where the horizontal pin is placed in the photo below.)  Trim excess fabric.
 Turn the bag right side out through the opening and stitch the opening closed.

Voila!  A little sea urchin clutch!



Doesn't the opening where the zipper is look like some sort of sea creature?  I couldn' t help but think of some sea urchin or clam everytime I open it up.  So cute!  And now it's housing all my makeup.  :)  I hope my directions were clear and that you enjoy! Thank you for reading!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I like your bag more than Anthro's. The urchin fingers or lips or whatever are taller. :) LOVE IT!! So glad you are blogging! I am enrolling into an interior design program in the fall. I just showed my hubby your blog and told him how I'd sit on my bed and pretend to do my accounting homework and secretly watch you sitting at your desk working on your projects. :)

    ReplyDelete